Monday, May 11, 2009

Side Effects - Yuck!





Half Way Through Chemotherapy and Radiation!












Well, this past week was the half-way point through the chemotherapy and radiation.  My schedule is 5 days per week (Mon-Fri) for both Chemo and Radiation - Then on Saturday and Sunday - Chemotherapy only.  It seemed I was going to get through this phase with only minimal side effects (no nausea - and only some expected fatigue) then all of the sudden last week, the hair started to fall out in clumps (only the dark hair - gray hair remained!).  Fortunately, we had some hats to cover the hairless parts around the front of the head near the scar from the surgery.  Our son, Russ gave me a cool "Quiksilver" hat, --- Jessica and John gave me a U hat (seems our BYU oriented missionaries are aghast!), --- a NYC hat next to my bed, --- a French looking hat (Terri thinks it looks just fine for Church), --- and a brand new "Life is Good" hat to celebrate our half-way point (and hair loss) ---- but ultimately, my sisters (Joy and Jan - identical twins and both hair dressers) have taken the responsibility to keep the hair trimmed properly to smooth the effects.  Russ thinks I just need to shave it --- but I am a bit timid about that drastic change.  


The other side effect has been some expected fatigue.  About an hour after each double treatment (Monday - Friday) I feel fatigued and need about an hour nap before I can get going again.  Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons are somewhat functional --- but Thursday and Friday afternoons are quite fatiguing -- Saturday and Sundays are time to regroup for the whole process to start again the next week.  And further, each week becomes a bit more fatiguing than the previous week.  Frankly, the cure seems more difficult than the actual disease.
Fortunately, I found the black easy chair is still my favorite spot for R&R both before and after the diagnosis.  All in all --- life is wonderful and we are quite optimistic.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. You are being prayed for by so many people every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look rather stylish in your new fade. When your hair grows back your sisters can carve designs and messages in the hair and you can be more New Yawk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you posted an update! i was wanting to see a picture. You look great considering what they are doing to that body of yours. Can't wait to see you in a few days! Love you! jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when my Grandpa's hair started to come out in clumps too. The worst part for him was that his eyebrows fell out too! I hope yours don't! Sending love! ♥ Hna Bowns

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great president! Thanks for the update. We think the world of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hair is over-rated anyway. We think you look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see you being so positive! I think you need an SLCC hat though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. President and Sister Morrow, we want you to know that we love you both and keep you in our prayers. We have been called to be temple workers in the Mesa, Az temple and I put your name on the temple prayer rolls. We hope that you are feeling better, although it may get worse before it gets better. Hang in there. Love Dennie and Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess if it makes you feel better, I'm losing hair too, but that's to be expected with these genes of mine. You're looking good President, I'll keep you in my prayers, hope all goes well.
    James (formerly "Elder Gale")

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep it up Jeff, We're pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi President and Sister Morrow! So glad I found you. So sorry to hear the news. So glad you are looking great and smiling as if nothing is at all different. You are the MAN! I love the chair and the hats. Very good.

    I am happy to keep in touch now, even if only via blogs.

    Take care. I send you both much love and hugs.

    (Sister) Linda Montoya (now Tolbert)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hair grows back,I PROMISE! My hair came back in and all the sudden I had NATURAL CURLS!!! Maybe yours will come back blonde, or something fabulous like that!

    You are so wonderful! We pray for you, and know you will survive this!

    Love,

    (Sister) Jen West (now Layton)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're amazing, I'm inspired by your postitive attitude!! You're in my prayers!I'm sure the Lord will bless you for your great faith!
    Sister Tara Griffith

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been a long time President. I'm sorry I had to catch up with you at this time. I hope everything goes well for you guys! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete